There are not many bakeries that can survive without a classic fudge brownie on the menu and our pastry chef has a formulation that is sure to please. This is chewy, dense fudge textured brownie with subtle amounts of vanilla. This is the brownie formula that will ensure that your customers beg for more brownies! You can add nuts and frosting, but these are pure bliss with a light dusting of powdered sugar by themselves. The baker's formulation is for a very dense fudge textured brownie. Follow the steps for cooling and cutting the brownies in order to really have clean cut-edges on the brownies. For the home baker, there's a simple version for you following the professional formulation that is a little simpler to make with fewer steps.
Classic Fudge Brownie Formulation
yield 20 3-inch squares
1. Sanitize all work surfaces, tools, and hands before handling raw flour and batter. Preheat oven to 350°F.Grease a half-sheet pan (18-in x 13-in x 1-in).
2. Melt together unsweetened chocolate and unsalted butter in a double boiler. Remove from heat and maintain temperature of chocolate / butter mixture at 86 degrees F°.
3. Meanwhile, combine whole eggs and sugar in a 5-quart mixer bowl. Using the paddle attachment, beat on low speed (Speed 1 on a Hobart mixer) for 1 minute. Stop mixer and scrape down bowl.
4. Add the chocolate and butter mixture. Beat on low speed for 1 minute. Stop mixer and scrape down bowl. Stir in pure vanilla extract.
5. Add sifted flour. Beat on low speed 1 minute. Stop mixer and scrape down bowl.
6. Pour the batter into prepared sheet pan and spread out evenly. Bake in preheated oven 40 minutes. A wooden pick inserted in the center will come out with moist crumbs (150°F). Sanitize all work surfaces, tools, and hands after handling raw flour and batter.
7. Cool to room temperature. Double-wrap slab of brownies in sheet pan with cling wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
9. Using a long sharp chef's knife, trim off 1/2-in from each long side of the slab. Cut the slab into twenty 3-in x 3-in brownies.